Learn to use a map and compass to find your way around the hills, moors and mountains
Ever found yourself stranded in poor visibility, and or not known where you are on a featureless moorland?
Want to be set free from the walks book!
Join our popular Hill and Moorland Navigation courses based in the Derbyshire Peak District. We offer a range of 1 and 2 day courses, with a flexible and individual approach designed for both novice and more experienced walkers.
- First Steps to map reading and navigation course, teaches basics of using a map and compass over easy ground.
- Moving on to Moorland; Intermediate Navigation – our second level course, building on basic map and compass navigation skills, and walking over more challenging terrain.
- Advanced dark peak map and compass navigation course in the Derbyshire Peak District, for people who already know the basics of using a map and compass.
- National Navigation Awards Scheme (NNAS) Our 2-day course offers a national accreditation for your map and compass navigation skills.
- Learn to navigate at night and poor visibility; for people who have basic map and compass navigation skills, and want to learn more advanced techniques.
- Learn how your GPS works, how and when to use it when out walking in the moors and mountains, planning routes and reviewing them when you get back home.
- 1-1 tailor made map reading and navigation course; A map reading and navigation course tailor-made to your personal needs on a date of your choosing.
We can offer the following courses mid-week as a 1-1 or for a group:
- Learn to Use a Compass; our new course with a focus on using the compass in the hills.
- Map Reading for Mature Walkers – a slower paced mid-week course to learn map reading, using a compass and planning a walk using paths and lanes.
- Navigation Masterclass for those who want to practice and fine-tune their skills and techniques.
- Hill and Mountain Skills courses – be prepared to walk in the British hills and mountains further afield, with more about maps, equipment, weather and tackling difficult terrain.
For any of the courses, you can reserve a place by telephone or email and sending us a cheque for payment, or click on the Book Now button to go to our online shop.
Why not give a course as a gift – no need to book a date; we will send you a card following payment with the details.